- Follow @TheAndrewBlog
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi Is About Making Mistakes, But the Trip to the Casino Planet Isn’t One of Them
- Relief Can Only Be Temporary when The Good Place Takes the “Leap Into Faith”
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi Embraces the Past, Instead of Discarding It
- The Walking Dead Warns This Is “How It’s Gotta Be” in a Trying Mid-Season Finale
- Hope in the Shadow of the Empire: Star Wars and the Jewish Identity
Tag Archives: The Walking Dead S07E08
Since at least the middle of the show’s fourth season, The Walking Dead’s M.O. has been to divide and conquer. As the show’s cast of characters has grown, more and more often its episodes focus on just a handful of individuals, typically separated from the rest of the group. That makes the series’s season premieres and season finales (or mid-season finales), where everyone joins back together, feel almost like crossover episodes.
But it also makes them feel like reunions. The time apart for these characters doesn’t just give us a thrill when they link up once more, but makes us miss their interactions and shows us the value of their cooperation, and even their mere shared presence, through its absence. That fits the theme of “Hearts Still Beating,” which shows any number of survivors attempting to solve the season’s big problems on their own, trying to carry the entire load on their backs, only to realize that what they hope to achieve can only be accomplished by working together. “Hearts Still Beating” is not a great episode of The Walking Dead, but in this vein, it works for what show’s going for.