- Follow @TheAndrewBlog
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi Is About Making Mistakes, But the Trip to the Casino Planet Isn’t One of Them
- Relief Can Only Be Temporary when The Good Place Takes the “Leap Into Faith”
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi Embraces the Past, Instead of Discarding It
- The Walking Dead Warns This Is “How It’s Gotta Be” in a Trying Mid-Season Finale
- Hope in the Shadow of the Empire: Star Wars and the Jewish Identity
Tag Archives: Better Call Saul S03E07
One of the best qualities of The Sopranos was how it would frequently depict a character having a small but meaningful interaction with another person, and then show how that moment could change their emotional state or plant some idea in their head that would stick with them throughout the episode. Often, the character would then take out those feelings on someone entirely removed from the original incident. It was part of the show’s deft emotional calculus, that captured the way thoughts and feelings flit around in the background of one’s mind, popping up at unexpected times or in surprising ways.
As much as the aptly titled “Expenses” is devoted to the tough financial situation Jimmy McGill finds himself in while suspended from the practice of law, it’s also devoted to that same idea — that one interaction, one exchange with another person, can reframe how you feel about someone or something, in a way that carries with you and cannot be easily erased.