- Follow @TheAndrewBlog
- Star Trek: Discovery’s First Season Finale Is a Mixed Bag that Still Honors the Spirit of the Franchise
- Black Panther Makes the MCU a Deeper, Richer Place
- Groundhog Day at 25: Bill Murray Finds Freedom While Trapped in a Nightmare
- Breaking Down the First Season of Star Trek: Discovery
- Gilmore Girls: “A Vineyard Valentine” Presages Mad Men in One of Season 6′s Best Episodes
Tag Archives: Better Call Saul S03E02
Better Call Saul is often a slower show, even by the standards of modern prestige dramas. To some degree, that is a necessary consequence of its status as a prequel. If it moves too quickly, suddenly it’s running into the series’s already known future. If it packs in too much incident, then it starts to seem all the more glaring that major events and shared histories are not mentioned or only grazed on Breaking Bad. Still, the show turns that slow burn into a feature, not a bug. It lets the events and conflicts of the series simmer while digging deep into the development of its characters and the details of their lives before things froth to a boil.
But even by Better Call Saul standards, “Witness” is a slow episode. That’s not a complaint, necessarily. Much of the proceedings center on Mike tracking down the people monitoring him, enlisting Saul in the endeavor, and there is a diligent, unhurried pace to that effort. The episode is content to play Mike’s mission out, evoking the sense of his dogged determination and the complexity and sophistication of what he’s up against.