- Follow @TheAndrewBlog
- Better Call Saul: The Careful and Deliberate Rule the Day in “Witness”
- Better Call Saul Recharges its Batteries in “Mabel”
- The Walking Dead Redeems its Season Premiere in “The First Day of the Rest of Your Life”
- The 12 Best Nameless Characters on The Simpsons
- How Archer’s Reboots Have Kept the Show Fresh in Its Later Years
- Andrew Bloom on Batman v. Superman Is a Well-Intentioned, But Deeply-Flawed Mess of a Film
- Andrew Bloom on 7 Big Questions About Battlestar Galactica’s Finale
- Brian Ballast on Batman v. Superman Is a Well-Intentioned, But Deeply-Flawed Mess of a Film
- romeo summers on 7 Big Questions About Battlestar Galactica’s Finale
- B.Y. on 7 Big Questions About Battlestar Galactica’s Finale
Tag Archives: Better Call Saul S03E01
Two devices, each meant to record, to track, so as to create leverage over another, are at the forefront of “Mabel.” Each, in their own roundabout way, needs its batteries replaced, and in both instances, that unintentionally exposes the person deploying it. Once again, two stories that seemingly have nothing to do with one another maintain such tight but unshowy thematic ties in a way that makes the two seems inextricably intertwined.
In other words, Better Call Saul is back! The opening salvo of the show’s third season offers a simple parallel that serves as a reminder of how great this series is at setting up the little things that will no doubt have much bigger echoes down the line. The two plots in this episode – one about the fallout from Jimmy revealing his malfeasance to Chuck, and the other hinging on Mike trying to figure out how a mysterious third party knew his intentions – both take things slow, letting the audience see the incremental progress of each story. But it’s immediately clear in each of them how these developments are building to a bigger reckoning.